I’m near sure there are hundreds of countries with thousands of recipes for an egg salad – and most of them are probably really good. However, on a visit back in the home country I was annoyed by the small portion of the store-bought egg salad and quickly whipped up a home-made version, using what my parents had in the pantry. Trust me, this is calory-intense, but I think it’s delicious! I did not whip up the mayonnaise though, which may add to homemade-delicousness!
Beg-4-More Egg Salad
Sweet, tangy and creamy – just right. Best if left over-night to develop and on some fresh baguette or white bread!
Preparation: 5 min
Inactive time: 5 min
Cooking time: 15 min
- Chopping board and knives
- Egg piercer, if available
- 2 eggs
- 1 L water for boiling
- cold water to cold-shock the eggs
- 160 g mayonnaise (full fat, egg, mild flavour)
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (mild)
- 1 Tbsp chives, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar (to taste, depends on the maynnaise base taste)
- 60 g mandarins, canned (drained)
- 60 g button mushrooms, canned (drained)
- salt (to taste, depends on the maynnaise base taste)
- 1 Tbsp cream (optional, if the mayonnaise is too thick)
- 2 Tbsp sour cream (optional, if you like the mayonnaise taste a little fresher)
- 1/4 capsicum, red, chopped into very small pieces (optional)
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- Bring the water to the boil, pierce the egg with the piercer to avoid cracking.
- Carefully place the egg into the boiling water and boil for 15 min.While the egg boils, prepare the other ingredients:
- Chop the chives into small rings.
- Drain the mandarins and mushrooms.
- Slice the mushrooms, capsicum and spring onion (if using) into small pieces or thin slices.
- Mix mayonnaise, curry, chives, cream or sour cream (if using) and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Then mix in the mushrooms, capsicum and spring onion.When the egg is boiled:
- Cold-shock the eggs by running cold water over them twice for 10 seconds.
- Peel the egg when it is cool enough to handle and cut roughly into 0.8 cm side length cubes.
- Let the egg cool for 5 min on the chopping board.
- When cool, mix the egg and the mandarins into the salad.
- Let marinate over night or eat straight away!